This blog is written by Hanna Asheber, a second-year undergraduate student at the University of Western Ontario.
Just like your weights and yoga mat, music is an essential component of any good workout. It helps pump us up during our warm-ups, pushes us further during the actual workout and makes the whole process that much more bearable.
Sometimes we shuffle a random playlist and hope that the songs are upbeat enough to keep us pushing through the pain. Next thing you know, you’re shuffling through the playlist trying to get to a song that you like and you realize that you’ve spent more time on the playlist than the actual workout!
But fear not.
I’ve curated a list of 10 songs that are guaranteed to vamp up your workout playlist and make you want to get up and move your body! Are you ready for this?
1. Laugh Now Cry Later - Drake (Ft. Lil Durk): Have you seen the music video for this song? The visuals alone are enough to get anyone up and in the mood to push through a killer workout. Whether you’re going on a run or planning on lifting heavy, this song will have you setting new PR’s!
2. 34 + 35 - Ariana Grande: Nothing screams empowerment more than a woman who owns her individuality! With lyrics like “I’ve been drinkin' coffee//And, I've been eatin' healthy” Ariana reminds us that radiance starts from the inside out.
3. All of the Lights - Kanye West: This song is a Hip-Hop classic and will definitely vamp up your workout playlist. At 142 BPM (beats per minute) this track is sure to keep your heart rate up and your body sweating.
4. Savage Remix - Megan Thee Stallion (ft. Beyonce): If confidence is something you’re trying to work on this year, this song is now your go-to hype track. I don’t really need to say anything more other than these 2 queens bodied this song and left no crumbs!
5. Level Up - Ciara: Up next is yet another confidence-boosting song. With her killer dance moves and uplifting lyrics, Ciara dares us to level up in all aspects of life, including our workout routines.
6. Bootylicious - Destiny’s Child: I’m taking you back to the early 2000s with this one (crazy how that was 20 years ago)! Whether you’re in the mood to take a quick dance break or want to add that extra oomph in your step, this is the song for you.
7. Motivation - Normani: As the saying goes, summer bodies are made in the winter, so, “let [Normani] be your motivation”
8. Yummy Remix - Justin Bieber, Summer Walker: I know we’ve all heard this song on repeat at the beginning of quarantine, but have you heard the Summer Walker version? Her verse will bring out your inner diva and have you enjoying your workout even more!
9. Headlines - Drake: Take Care is (arguably) Drake’s best album so this song just had to make it on the list. In no time you’ll have people knowing that “the real is on the rise”.
10. Go Crazy - Chris Brown, Young Thug: As one of the biggest songs of last year, you may have heard of this song from TikTok and have already mastered the dance that goes along with it. So get on your favourite workout clothes and “Go Crazy”!
With all of us staying at home, it can be hard to get back to the routines that we’ve been so accustomed to. But I’m a big believer that music can heal all, so hopefully these 10 songs will vamp up your workout playlist and you’ll look forward to killing your next workout.